Did you know that you can run a successful business right from the comfort of your house? Depending on the nature and stage of your business, you can save a lot by running your business from home. For businesses that do not have walk-in clients or customers, running such a business from a home office would be a good cost-cutting strategy. Renting an office space away from home can be a costly affair, especially for businesses which are in the start-up phase. Parents who wish to spend time with their children also have the option of running their businesses from a home office. Regardless of the motivation for working from home, you need to ensure that your home-based business is secured.
Here are some tips to keep your home-based business safe from harm:
Install a Small Business Security System
If you decide to run your business from home, you will have to increase the level of security at your home. For you to fully protect your business, you need to consider installing:
- A simple intercom system- so that you can communicate to a client at the door.
- IP surveillance cameras- You can compare indoor security cameras vs outdoor and choose one that you think and feel will serve you best. Installing a video surveillance system in and around your home office will enable you to see whatever is going on at any time and from any place.
- Fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, and water detectors- These are important as they will help you to safeguard your valuables from environmental hazards, like floods or fires.
- Remote access control- Your security system can be configured such that you can access it remotely via your handheld devices while away from your office.
Secure Your Business Data
Everyone remembers the infamous Equifax Hack from earlier this year. Running a home-based business is not different from running an office-based business. You are likely to face the same risks other business owners face in their businesses. Therefore, you need to ensure that you secure all of your clients’ data. You can achieve this by:
- Installing firewall, malware, and antivirus software.
- Encrypting your Wi-Fi connections.
- Creating strong passwords.
- Backing up your data to the cloud.
Insure Your Business
When it comes to picking the right insurance for your home-based business, you need to consult with your home insurance provider to see if the insurance covers your business property or if you will need to take out another one for your business. Some additional questions you need to ponder over when considering an insurance policy for your home-based business may include:
- What valuable assets do you own?
- Do you receive clients in your home office?
- Is your home at risk of burglary or theft?
- Do you store your business data at home?
You can secure your home-based business by installing a small business security system, insuring your business and securing your business data. Take the steps detailed above to secure your business today.